Church B in Nicaea

Church B is located near the Roman theater in Nicaea (modern İznik). The remains only consist of vaulted substructures, but allow for a reconstruction of the church. It was 18x12 m with a single apse and a narthex and probably had a cross-in-square plan. It dates to the Laskarid era (1204-1261).

Plan by Foss

Map of Nicaea

Sources

Nicaea: A Byzantine Capital and Its Praises by Clive Foss

The Archaeology of Byzantine Anatolia: From the End of Late Antiquity until the Coming of the Turks edited by P. Niewohner

Byzantine Architecture by Cyril Mango

Early Christian and Byzantine Architecture by ​Richard Krautheimer 

Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium edited by Alexander Kazhdan

Resources

Nicaea Album (Byzantine Legacy Flickr)

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
The Byzantine Legacy
Created by David Hendrix Copyright 2016