Church C in Nicaea

The ruins of “Church C” are located in Nicaea (modern İznik). The church stood by the main street just north of the southern gate. It was around 22x18 m. It had a large dome, with a narthex, two side aisles, and a triple apse. It dates to the Laskarid era (1204-1261).

Plan by Foss

Map of Nicaea

Sources

Nicaea: A Byzantine Capital and Its Praises by Clive Foss

The Archaeology of Byzantine Anatolia: From the End of Late Antiquity until the Coming of the Turks edited by P. Niewohner

Byzantine Architecture by Cyril Mango

Early Christian and Byzantine Architecture by ​Richard Krautheimer 

Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium edited by Alexander Kazhdan

Resources

Nicaea Album (Byzantine Legacy Flickr)

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
The Byzantine Legacy
Created by David Hendrix Copyright 2016