Church of St. Tryphon in Nicaea

The Church of St. Tryphon was building in Nicaea (modern İznik) built during the reign of Theodore II Laskaris (1254-1258). St. Tryphon was of special important to Theodore II, who won an important battle on the opposite side of the Dardanelles after the saint appeared to him in a dream. The emperor established a new school there and became an important pilgrimage site at the time. It then vanished from history, until remains of a church were unearthed near the northern gate in 1947. It had cross-in-square plan with four central columns supporting a dome, triple apse, and a narthex. It measured around 12 x 22 m and was constructed of mortared rubble with bands of brick. It has been argued that the adjacent ruins, which suggested that the church had a series of side rooms, belong to the school built during the reign of Theodore II.  

Hypothetical plan by Foss

Map of Nicaea

Sources

Nicaea: A Byzantine Capital and Its Praises by Clive Foss

The Archaeology of Byzantine Anatolia: From the End of Late Antiquity until the Coming of the Turks edited by P. Niewohner

Byzantine Architecture by Cyril Mango

Early Christian and Byzantine Architecture by ​Richard Krautheimer 

Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium edited by Alexander Kazhdan

Resources

Nicaea Album (Byzantine Legacy Flickr)

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
The Byzantine Legacy
Created by David Hendrix Copyright 2016