Monastery of St. Andrew in Krisei
DSC_5872.JPG

The Monastery of St. Andrew in Krisei (now Koca Mustafa Pasha Mosque) was Byzantine church located on the seventh hill of Constantinople, north of Psamathia (Turkish Samatya) somewhat near the Cistern of St. Mocius and the Gate of Selymbria (Turkish Silivri Kapı).

The church has undergone significant changes since its conversion into a mosque, which have obscured most of its original character. While it probably had an ambulatory plan, it was reoriented by ninety degrees so that it would face toward Mecca. The southern aisle was transformed into a mihrab; its original barrel vault was replaced by a Turkish half-dome, and the original Byzantine dome was replaced by an Ottoman dome. A portico with five bays along the north wall of the building was also added during the Ottoman era. Several Byzantine capitals have survived, some of which perhaps date to the 6th century. Its entire exterior is encased in limestone, and the interior is plastered and painted, making its identification and the date of the budding are uncertain. 
According to tradition, it was founded in the 8th century and dedicated to the iconophile St. Andrew of Crete who was martyred during the reign of Constantine V (741-775). It was also possibly restored during the reign of Basil I (867-886). Following the Latin occupation of Constantinople, it was significant renovated or even rebuilt by Theodora Raoulaina (ca. 1240-1300), niece of Emperor Michael Vlll Palaiologos. It was converted into a mosque by Koca Mustafa Paşa, the grand vizier of Bayezid II, in 1486. The mosque is also known as Sümbül Efendi Mosque, who establish a tekke (a dervish lodge) on site. The mosque complex also includes the tombs of several saints, a madrasa and a soup kitchen. 

DSC_5879.JPG
IMG_9211.JPG
DSC_5865.JPG
4d5e2feba638ae6fd512cbb324b1c4e6.jpg
14.jpg
18929645764_e4dce23e3d_o.jpg

Photo by David Talbot-Rice 

From Birmingham East Mediterranean Archive

08.jpg

Photos by Mathews

From Byzantine Studies by Paspates (1877)

From Ebersolt & Thiers (1910)

Plan by Ebersolt & Thiers

Map 12.jpg
Istanbul Archaeological Museums.png
DSC_0297.JPG

Door frame from the church
From garden of the Istanbul Archaeological Museums

DSC_0556.JPG

Lead Sarcophagus 

Kocamustafapaşa, 5th-6th century

Sources
St. Andrew in Krisei (Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World)

Architecture and Ritual in the Churches of Constantinople: Ninth to Fifteenth Centuries by V. Marinis

Converted Byzantine Churches in Istanbul: Their Transformation Into Mosques and Masjids by S. Kirimtayif

Bildlexikon zur Topographie Istanbuls: Byzantion, Konstantinupolis, Istanbul by Wolfgang Müller-Wiener

Resources

St. Andrew in Krisei Album (Byzantine Legacy Flickr)

Hag. Andreas en te Krisei (NYU Byzantine Churches of Istanbul)

Koca Mustafa Paşa Camii (Nicholas V. Artamonoff Collection)

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
The Byzantine Legacy
Created by David Hendrix Copyright 2016