Hagia Sophia in Nicaea

The Church of Hagia Sophia is located in the center of Nicaea (modern İznik). It served as the venue of the Seventh Ecumenical Council in 787. It originated as an early Byzantine basilica perhaps dating to the second half of the 5th century. It has with a three-sided apse, a narthex, a chapel to the southeast, and probably with galleries. It was severely damaged in the earth of 1065. The lower part of the outer walls consists of regular ashlar masonry (perhaps belonging to a Roman predecessor), while the upper part was built with bricks. 

Photo by Guillaume Berggren (1870s-1880s)

Photo by Guillaume Berggren (1870s-1880s)

Photo by Paolo Monti (1962)

Plan by Foss

Map of Nicaea

Sources

Nicaea: A Byzantine Capital and Its Praises by Clive Foss

The Archaeology of Byzantine Anatolia: From the End of Late Antiquity until the Coming of the Turks edited by P. Niewohner

Byzantine Architecture by Cyril Mango

Early Christian and Byzantine Architecture by ​Richard Krautheimer 

Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium edited by Alexander Kazhdan

Resources

Nicaea Album (Byzantine Legacy Flickr)

Hagia Sophia in Nicaea Album (Byzantine Legacy Flickr)

David Talbot-Rice in Nicaea (BEMA)

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
The Byzantine Legacy
Created by David Hendrix Copyright 2016