top of page
Metamorphosis on Antigone
The Church of the Metamorphosis is located on the island of Burgazada (Antigone) of the Princes’ Islands in the Marmara Sea near Constantinople. It is a 19th century church built in 1868 on the ruins of a Byzantine church that might be identified with the Monastery of the Theokoryphotos. The church, possibly built in the 12th century, was destroyed in 1630.
Reconstructed plan by Ousterhout
“The Church of the Transfiguration on Burgazada” by Ousterhout & Akyurek
Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium edited by Alexander Kazhdan
bottom of page