Photo by Haneburger
Platamon Castle is located near the mouth of the Peneios River, overlooking the wide plain of Pieria to the north and commanding north-south communication at the entrance to the valley of Tempe. It was an episkepsis at the end of the 12th century and in the 14th century was termed a polichne. Platamon is mentioned for the first time in a chrysobull of Alexios III in 1198. The fortress was probably rebuilt by Roland Piscia, who received the site from Boniface of Montferrat after 1204. In 1218 it was taken by Theodore Komnenos Doukas of Epiros and fell to Michael VIII after the battle of Pelagonia in 1259. In 1343, during the civil war, Platamon first supported John VI Kantakouzenos but later revolted and recognized John V Palaiologos. Some of the Zealots from Thessalonike were imprisoned at Platamon in 1346. Around 1385 the castle fell to the Turks, who apparently kept it in good repair. The fortress has a simple plan, with exterior circuit wall, interior fort, and central tower or donjon. As preserved, it is completely Frankish in design. The bishopric of Platamon and Lykostomion, suffragan of Thessalonike, is known only from the 14th century.
Page Under Construction
View of Mount Olympus and Platamon Castle by Edward Daniel Clarke (1816)
Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium edited by Alexander Kazhdan