Kasım Ağa Mosque

Kasım Ağa Mosque is situated in the northwestern part of Constantinople, a short distance from the Monastery of Chora and the Cistern of Aetius. It is possible that Kasım Ağa Mosque, along with the nearby Odalar Mosque and the Ipek Cistern, once formed part of a monastery. 
Its date and identity are unknown. Due to its masonry, it has been suggested that it was a Palaiologan structure. It has no apse and was perhaps was an annex building for a monastery in the area.  
Although the district remained Christian for about two hundred years after the conquest, the building was converted by Kasım Ağa into a mosque in 1506. He also founded a waqf for the mosque. It was damaged by an earthquake in 1894 and then by a fire in 1919. It was restored in 1977, and the present minaret was erected in 1989.

ka04.jpg
19floorplan.jpg

Plan by Mathews

Plan by Muller-Wiener

Map4.jpg

Sources
Architecture and Ritual in the Churches of Constantinople Ninth to Fifteenth Centuries by Vasileios Marinis

Converted Byzantine Churches in Istanbul: Their Transformation Into Mosques and Masjids by S. Kirimtayif

Bildlexikon zur Topographie Istanbuls: Byzantion, Konstantinupolis, Istanbul by Wolfgang Müller-Wiener

Resources
Byzantine Churches of Constantinople Photo Album (Byzantine Legacy Flickr)

Kasim Aga Mescidi (NYU Byzantine Churches of Istanbul)

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
The Byzantine Legacy
Created by David Hendrix Copyright 2016